Junior Danielle Dixon scores for second straight game
NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (September 28, 2016) – Junior midfielder Danielle Dixon (Plainville, Conn.) found the back of the net for the second consecutive contest, but the Western New England University women's soccer team fell to Smith College, 2-1, in non-conference action this evening.
• Dixon scored her third goal of the season and led the Golden Bears in both shots (five) and shots on goal (three).
• Senior defender Katelyn Cummings (Feeding Hills, Mass.) provided an assist on Dixon's goal, her fourth of the season.
• Sophomore goalkeeper Marissa Veilleux (Newington, Conn.) made a career-high 12 saves in net.
• Senior forward Jackie Foody (Weston, Mass.) scored the game-winner for the Pioneers just over two minutes into the second overtime session.
• Junior midfielder Laurel Reed (Shrub Oak, N.Y.) got the home team on the board in the eighth minute, when she finished a cross from classmate Emily Smith (Winchester, Mass.).
• Smith would take its 1-0 lead into halftime, but Western New England equalized early in the second half. Dixon scored on a header following a free kick by Cummings at the 47:57 mark to even the score at 1-1.
• Veilleux stopped the next eight shots that she faced, including five in the second half alone and three over the first 12 minutes of overtime, but Foody netted the game-winner for Smith in the 103rd minute.
• Western New England was outshot 24-16, but the Golden Bears held a 4-1 advantage in corner kicks.
• Veilleux's previous season-high for saves prior to this afternoon's contest was six, set in Saturday's win over Gordon.
• Cummings leads the Golden Bears with four assists this season, while Dixon's three goals are tied for the team lead.
Western New England (4-6-1) returns to action on Saturday afternoon at Wentworth, while Smith (7-1-2) hits the road on Friday for a contest at Coast Guard.